Plaza of the Americas – In Development
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
Planning/ Design Services - 2012, Construction - TBA
Historic Survey, Site Analysis, Master Planning, Workshop Facilitator
The Plaza of the Americas on the campus of the University of Florida represents the “heart” of the campus to many students and Alumni. The large “Park-Like” open space was originally identified as the University Quadrangle on plans prepared by the Olmstead Brothers in the late 1920’s. Now fully surrounded by buildings, the Plaza is a favorite location for students and faculty to meet, hang out and gather for large events. In 2007, the University of Florida hired David Conner + Associates to research the history of the Plaza and to outline a strategy for insuring that the Plaza is preserved and enhanced as development continues to enclose the space. The plan proposed by David Conner + Associates recommended a series of bold new strategies to improve use of the Plaza and surrounding courtyards and pedestrian walkways.